We once cared for a bull-mastiff named Diesel. His name is Diesel because he’s the size of a small truck. When a dog is a giant like Diesel is they can’t fit in normal places. They’ll break your couch or your bed. Not because they are destructive but just because they are huge!
Ultra big dogs like Diesel are the sweetest, cuddliest and friendliest creatures.
We’ve had a few friends with great Danes- you won’t find a sweeter temperament.
Malamutes can be HUGE and they are so playful.
St. Bernard’s have the well-deserved reputation of being a gentle giant due to their history as search and rescue dogs in the Swiss alps.
Caring for these giants, though, can be difficult and expensive. They will shed a ton. And, as many dog owners have learned, they might prefer a crate to sleep in during the day and night.
We have a ton of experience with our three large dogs (I haven’t personally owned a XL breed) and can speak with authority about our dogs preferring a crate.
We’ve found the best large dog crates for those super large breeds!
- 1 Why a dog crate?
- 2 How large is extra large?
- 3 Casual Home Wooden Large Dog Crate – The Best Looking Large Dog Crate
- 4 Kennels Direct Premium Plastic Dog Kennel and Travel Large Dog Crate, XL – The Right Choice for Travel
- 5 Amazon Basics Heavy Duty Stackable Pet Kennel Large Dog Crate – Sometimes all you need are the basics
- 6 Summary
Why a dog crate?
Some think of dog crates as cages. And, since cages are inhumane, putting your dog in a cage is abusive- or so the thinking goes.
However, most dogs love crates. Many will need to be crate trained. But, once they are trained, the crate will be their preferable place to lounge.
Crates are relaxing because they take away all the distractions and the stimulus and allow dogs to rest their attention- much like meditation.
Instead of wandering from one place to another ensuring that the pack is safe, there are no forgotten crumbs or anything else a dog might worry about, our dogs can just rest.
How large is extra large?
Here are some typical dimensions for your super large breeds.
Height: 30-32 inches (male), 28-30 inches (female) Weight: 140-175 pounds (male), 110-140 pounds (female)
Height: 25 inches (male), 23 inches (female) Weight: 85 pounds (male), 75 pounds (female)
Height: 28-30 inches (males), 26-28 inches (female) Weight: 140-180 pounds (male), 120-140 pounds (female)
Given the imposing size and weight of these breeds, we want a sturdy crate that is at least 33 inches tall and is rated to support up to 200 lbs.
Here are the best crates that fit this criteria!
- Incredibly stylish end table design makes this an attractive crate that fits with many interior design choices.
- Includes two swinging doors for maximum entry and exit space. Also gives dogs superb comfort when lounging in the crate with the doors open.
- End table style top provides an additional storage space. Many crates do not allow for storage space on top.
- Solid wood construction for increased durability and longevity. Light and easy assembly.
- Dimensions: This crate is juuuust shy of the 33 inch high requirement. However, 1-2 inches shouldn’t be a huge problem for your huge dog.
What are reviewers saying?
Love how these look in my home. Wire crates were an eyesore. They are so solid I’ve been using them as an extension of my desk. I bought 2 for my Boxers, although they frequently nap together in one of them (w/ plenty of room to spare). My Boxers can also stand inside and still have plenty of headroom even with their beds in there.https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3MLMUKLS9Q8FS/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B079TG6XC4
REASON FOR 4 STARS INSTEAD OF 5:
1. Only issue I had was one of them the lock was slightly off so I have to push it to slide the bar into lock position.
2. If you have a separation anxiety dog, they may chew through the bars. My male Boxer did some chewing, but it’s only 2 bars and only slightly chewed. I was able to sand it smooth and cover the exposed wood with a furniture stain repair pen as it was only on the inside. He only did it when he first got it and apparently decided it wasn’t worth it so hasn’t touched it since.
If you do have a chewer, the large wire crates fit inside of this wooden crate so you can still get the benefit of a furniture piece v. The wire eyesores
Kennels Direct Premium Plastic Dog Kennel and Travel Large Dog Crate, XL – The Right Choice for Travel
- IATA Airline approved, Tie down holes for bungees.
- Sturdy and durable, convenient, easy to assemble and easy to clean.
- Built-in handles and and removable locking wheels make it a cinch to move.
- Dishes and live animal stickers are included.
- Dimensions: 48″h x 36″d x 32″w (This crate is HYUGE!)
What are reviewers saying?
Dog crates this size are very cumbersome, but the wheels, double handles and hand grooves make it so much more manageable! The last time we flew, his crate had only one handle, in the middle of the roof, so when he was picked up, all the weight shifted to one side and the crate tipped over. I bought this crate so my doberman could fly to Alaska with me. I travel alone, so dealing with heavy luggage is nearly too much for me to handle, adding a huge kennel and a curious dog makes it impossible.
But, this trip went better than expected, because I could stack my luggage on top of the kennel and wheel it around! It was plenty sturdy to support the weight of suitcases. It was simple to slide the wheels off, when it was time to crate my dog and turn him over to TSA. Also, it was easy to initially put together and then break down again for storage. And, as an added bonus, it comes with two bowls, that clip to the door. We don’t use the bowls, but it is a TSA requirement, so it’s awesome to not have to spend additional money to buy them separately.
Amazon Basics Heavy Duty Stackable Pet Kennel Large Dog Crate – Sometimes all you need are the basics
- Dog crate with double-door design for convenient front and side entry.
- 48-inch heavy-duty stackable pet kennel with durable pull-out tray for easy cleaning
- Made of sturdy iron and polypropylene material in a sleek black color
- Top opens for easier in/out access of pets and supplies; lockable casters for smooth-rolling portability and secure placement
- Can be collapsed for compact storage; most parts are assembled for fast, easy setup
- Measures 48.2 by 37.8 by 42.5 inches; backed by an Amazon Basics 1-year limited warranty
What are reviewers saying?
So as my title states this crate does feel sturdy and it was easy to assemble. I will say one of the pre-inserted bolts was missing when I got my crate but they include some other kind of bolts (to attach another crate on top of this one) that fit fine in the hole.
This crate isn’t portable like the old wire metal one I had but I bought this one because of that. The last crate my dog could pull apart, this one he cannot. He did bend some of the metal wire on the door though. But he did not escape.
Oh and I talked to my dogs vet about his anxiety and he is on calming medication now and doesn’t try to break out when I go to work.https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3LC4TIQOK7IIG/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07TPPVYLV
We’ve got you covered for your super large dog crate!
If you’re looking for a crate that won’t clash with your furniture: your choice should probably be the casual home wooden large dog crate.
If you’re looking for a large dog crate that you can travel with: the Kennels Direct dog crate is an excellent option.
And, if just a basic large dog crate will do, the AmazonBasics dog crate will hold up great.
Let me know in the comments if you have any questions!
p.s. Looking for something else? Check out our post on the best dog houses.