Luckily all three of our dogs are still young and spry. They would rather lounge on our bed or on the floor. We don’t need an orthopedic dog bed- yet.
They are getting up there in age (Denver is turning 7, Chloe 7 and Benji 5) so the day is coming soon that they will need a special bed.
Why An Orthopedic Dog Bed?
Orthopedic dog beds will help with all kinds of age related pain. Whether it’s late developing hip dysplasia, osteo-arthritis or just general joint pain- an orthopedic dog bed will help with your dogs comfort.
Ideally the pet bed features some kind of memory foam and bolsters for maximum comfort. However, we feature one bed on our list that is a different design for a different kind of comfort.
How To Wash An Orthopedic Dog Bed?
We want beds that have removable covers that are machine-washable. Typically all you need to do is remove the cover and wash in cold water on a gentle cycle. Tumble dry low. If needed, use a enzyme- based spot cleaner to remove tough stains.
Ideally, you’ll wash the bed regularly to help your dog stay clean and avoid developing allergies. Do you have a dog suffering from allergies? Check out this post!
Here is our list!
- 1 Why An Orthopedic Dog Bed?
- 2 How To Wash An Orthopedic Dog Bed?
- 3 Furhaven Pet Dog Bed – Best XXL Orthopedic Dog Bed
- 4 Serta Ortho Quilted Couch Pet Bed
- 5 BarksBar Gray Orthopedic Dog Bed
- 6 AmazonBasics Elevated Cooling Pet Bed
- 7 Casper Dog Bed
- 8 Verdict
- The Furhaven Luxe Lounger features a contoured design that cuddlers will absolutely love! The open sleep surface gives pets plenty of space to sprawl and snooze the day away in maximum comfort.
- Ultra plush faux fur runs along the contoured sleep surface of the lounger. The material is absolutely gentle on noses and paws, wrapping your best friend in delightfully soft and luxuriously fluffy snuggles.
- The dense medical-grade foam is contoured into an ergonomic form factor that cradles your pet’s body to provide superior therapeutic support for the back and neck. The bed is also made accessible for elderly and disabled pets. Foam is CertiPUR-US certified.
- Sizing: 30″ x 45″ x 6″ (2.5″ Center Height, 6″ Edges Height), Color: Gray
- The pet bed comes in three different colors: Cream, Chocolate, and Gray. It’s also available in the following sizes: Small (14″ x 21″ x 4″), Medium (20″ x 30″ x 5″), Large (24″ x 36″ x 5.5″), Jumbo (30″ x 45″ x 6″), Jumbo Plus (36″ x 51″ x 8″), and Giant (42 x 58″ x 9″).
- Furhaven knows that pets can present some unique cleaning challenges. That’s why we’ve made the bed cover completely machine washable!
The Furhaven Luxe Lounger is the right choice for many sizes of dogs- however they are the only company that offers a super large size. Order the “Giant” size if you have a giant pupper.
This bed is not the right choice for young puppies or dogs that tend to tear things apart. This bed is easily destroyed.
Includes a limited warranty when purchased through Amazon.
- High quality pet bed made with upholstery grade fabrics.
- Assembled in the US with 100% Certi-Pur US foam.
- Pressure relieving Ortho foam for superior comfort and support.
- Machine washable removable cover with non-skid bottom.
- Perfect for dogs who sleep in multiple positions. Eco-poly filled bolsters so your pupper can comfortably rest their head.
- Assembled in the USA.
The Serta Ortho Quited Couch Pet Bed offers maximum comfort for your aging dog. The Serta convoluted orthopedic foam provides unparalleled comfort and support while providing relief from joint pressure discomfort.
It’s also very easy to clean, as the cover is machine washable and zips off easily.
The largest size is pretty large, but if you have a Giant dog you’re better off with the Furhaven.
- Large Orthopedic Sleeper: 40” x 30” x 10″ – Ideal for Medium to Large size dogs and also great for multiple smaller dogs. Can easily hold up to 100+ lbs and fitted for pets up to 36″ in length.
- Inner Dimensions of Sleeping Space: 36″ x 24″ – Crafted with top-of-the-line workmanship and premium materials, it is built to both provide the ultimate sleep experience with superior overall comfort and to last. Perfect for dogs of any ages, especially older dogs with joint, bone or arthritic problems.
- Premium Materials include: (1) Ultra Soft Polyester Cover with a luxurious quilted design, (2) 4″ of Solid Orthopedic Foam base for the optimal balance of comfort, reduced joint pain and improved health & mobility. (3) Extra Comfy Cotton-Padded Rim cushion to instantly contour to your pet’s neck and provide constant support and decompression for ailing necks and heads.
- Sleek and Luxurious quilted design to improve any family’s home decor. Comes with a built-in nonslip rubber backing on the bottom side of the cover to prevent any sliding on wooden and tiled floors.
- Easy to clean & maintain: Removable and Machine-Washable cover. Simply put it on gentle / delicate cycle. Even easier to spot clean and remove hair.
Designed for aging dogs, the BarksBar orthopedic bed provides excellent support for arthritic dogs. This bed would make a great choice for an older pup that needs their joints rested.
Cover is machine washable. Compare with the Serta for best pricing.
- Breathable mesh fabric helps keep pets cool by allowing air to flow.
- Elevates pets more than 7 inches off the ground.
- Easy to clean (using tap water only); simple assembly (screws and hex tool included).
- Size XL; measures 60.1 by 37.1 by 8.9 inches; backed by an AmazonBasics 1-year limited warranty.
- Mesh size 52.4*37.4.
Sometimes all you really need is one of the basics. AmazonBasics has you covered with this fantastic elevated dog bed. This orthopedic dog bed is a cot design, so it will be much firmer than a typical memory foam dog bed.
The cot design will provide a superb cooling effect so it’s great for use outside and in the summer. However, if you’re looking for a soft bed that will be easy on the joints it’s best to look at one of the other beds on this list.
- The practically impenetrable nylon cover is easy to remove and machine wash.
- Sewn-in pockets hide the metal zippers, so they won’t scratch your floors.
- The fortified construction won’t sink, slump, or sag over time.
- Designed and assembled in the USA.
- 1-year limited warranty.
- Free shipping and free returns in the US and Canada.
Our dogs cannot get enough of our (human) Casper mattress. I’m serious, we can’t keep them out of our room. If we forget to close the door all three of them will be napping on our Casper. This experience alone is enough to tell me that they would love a Casper dog bed.
And, Casper’s design makes a great all-around choice for an orthopedic dog bed. It uses the same materials that have made the human Casper mattress a superb product. The supportive foam bolsters of the bed also create a safe space for dogs to lay their heads- literally and figuratively.
And the largest size is nearly as large as the Furhaven XXL, making it a great choice for all sizes of dogs.
It is quite expensive- but as they say, you get what you pay for.
Thanks for reading! I hope one of these options is the right dog bed for you. If you’re looking for the best XXL option, I would go with the Furhaven. If you’re looking for the best overall, maybe consider the Casper.
Also, consider where your dog likes to lounge currently. Do they like being surrounded by soft pillows? The Barksbar or the Serta may be the right choice. Do you live in a warm climate? You’ll probably want to consider the AmazonBasics cooling bed.
Looking for something else? Check out our list of the best dog houses!
p.s. Check out this link for tips to calm down a dog!