Teaching recall is one of the MOST important training skills. It is both practical (save your dog from getting run over by a car or eating something they shouldn’t) and dog’s love it. But, it’s also a difficult skill to train because most people don’t know how to train it.
Welcome to Zen and the Art of Dog- where we impart the wisdom that we have learned on our journey.
Teaching Your Dog to Come, The Step-by-Step Process
- Get a long leash, prong collar and you might even consider an ecollar. Also, treats are helpful.
- Gear your dog up and go outside.
- Let them lose interest in you.
- Give the command (typically “come”).
- Start to put pressure on the leash by pulling the dog toward you (you might even start walking backwards, try to get them to commit to trotting towards you).
- Provide lots of praise and a treat when they reach you.
Practicing this a couple days a week for a few weeks should get your dog learning to come.
Let us know if you have a different training method!