I really love our Walky Dog dog bike leash. It has been a ton of fun for me and my dogs.
But, let me back up.
I got the idea for biking with my dog Denver several years ago by watching Cesar Milan (The Dog Whisperer). He recommended it as a great way to chill your dogs out and get some great exercise in the process.
So, one day, I gave it a try. Denver and I went out together. I was on my bike and Denver on a harness with me holding the leash in my hand.
I get out on the bike path and things are going well! Denver is picking up speed and it’s kind of fun.
Well… Denver saw a squirrel. On the other side of the bike. He dive bombed in front of the bike to get the squirrel.
I’ll just say: I’m very happy the brakes on my bike are so good.
That ended up being an interesting experiment. We bought the Walky Dog later that day and I highly recommend it.
So What’s So Great About This Thing Anyway?
I’m glad you asked.
The Walky Dog is a pole that screws to your bike’s seat. It has an adjustable paracord that comes out and can be attached to your dog.
Depending on how you install it, the Walky Dog will stick out at a 90 degree angle to the right or left of your bike and allow your dog to trot or run alongside.
I love the Walky Dog. It is a great way to give a high energy dog, like a husky or a boxer, a ton of exercise.
Features of the Walky Dog Dog Bike Leash
- Easily installs to seat post. Putting this on your bike is a snap. We take it on and off my bike seat post all the time.
- Shock absorber with quick release so if dog wants to go after a squirrel, you’re not instantly pulled off your bike.
- Sturdily built with carbon stainless steel arm and 550lbs pull strength.
- Adjustable length paracord.
- Installation at seat post might make it uncomfortable for some riders while pedaling. This is especially true for shorter riders.
- If your dog is short, the cord may not be long enough. This is definitely an item for medium to large dogs.
- Some dogs will be scared of being so close to the bike.
What Are Reviewers Saying?
I have what may be the most hyper, puppy-dumb, yellow lab. She also weighs around 75 lbs. I’m not a very confident bike rider since I have only rode a bike a handful of times between 14 and 43 years of age. My dog took to this within minutes. She has tried to take off after another dog – I did not become fodder for a YouTube fail video. She stopped abruptly to scratch her ear, and again, it didn’t knock me off of the bicycle. I have held off of an activity that I love for years because I had such guilt leaving my sweet dog at home, especially since she is home alone all day while I work. Now we can both get the exercise we desperately need and enjoy ourselves in the process. This is easily the best $60ish that I’ve spent in a long time.
Not much more to say about the Walky Dog. If you want a dog bike leash to take your dog on bike rides, or you have a high energy dog like we do, this is an indispensable tool to get them a lot of exercise.
Check it out here: