Dog kennels are incredibly useful for dog care. They make life easier in a lot of ways and are often crucial for your dog’s mindset. Depending on the kennel, some are useful for transporting your dog, creating a safe outdoor space for your dog or having a nice home for them when traveling.
Keeping a kennel can solve a lot of behavioral issues in many pups. It is especially helpful with anxious and destructive behaviors. A kennel gives a dog a safe space to relax and play. If your dog starts to exhibit anxious, excited or obsessive behaviors you can give them some kennel time where they can calm down.
We recently moved out of the city into a more suburban area. With 3 dogs, a backyard was in our must haves but a fenced-in yard was preferred. Installing a fence can be quite a hefty investment and a few houses that we considered either had a shorter fence or a chain-link fence to save on costs.
One of the houses we liked sat on an acre of land with no fencing at all! Adding a fence to the entire property would have been expensive and we didn’t like the idea of only fencing off only part of the land. So we started researching dog kennels.
A dog kennel allows you to create an outdoor play area for your dogs while making sure they are still in a secure area on your property. With a shorter or chain-link fence, our dog Benji can have issues with fence fighting if a neighbor’s dog is also vocal. A dog kennel would give Benji some breathing room from a neighbor’s dog. Here are some of the dog runs we considered:
- 1 Midwest K9 Portable Outdoor Steel Dog Kennel
- 2 Petmate Vari Portable Dog Kennel
- 3 EliteField 3-door Collapsible Dog Kennel
- 4 Proselect Empire Indestructible Dog Kennel
- 5 Houseables Large Dog Kennel
Midwest K9 Portable Outdoor Steel Dog Kennel
- Strong and durable steel frame features rounded corners for your dog’s safety.
- Chain-link construction for durability keeps the kennel lightweight for easy repositioning as needed.
- Includes woven polyethylene sunscreen that provides 80 percent sunblock.
- Door latch allows for 1-handed operation while holding your dog with the other hand.
- Easy setup with 2 people and just a pair of pliers.
This large metal dog kennel is a great semi-permanent option for giving your pup some nice outdoor space. The included tarp roof provides shade to keep your pup nice and cool while being an escape proof dog kennel. You can check out our in depth review of the Midwest k9 steel dog kennel here.
Get it here from Chewy!
Petmate Vari Portable Dog Kennel
- Perfect for traveling and training and comes in multiple sizes with different features, so you can choose the one that’s best for your pal.
- Tie-down strap holes molded in around the door perimeter for zip-tie installation an extra security during airline travel.
- Vents on back and side walls with an interior moat keep pets dry.
- Easy to assemble with no tools required for every pet parent’s convenience.
- Meets USDA & IATA requirements for transporting your pal.
The petmate vari dog travel kennel is the right choice for traveling- especially on an airplane. It is light and meets government requirements for keeping your pup safe. However, this kennel would not solve our outdoor backyard time problem!
If you’re looking for a travel kennel, get it here from Chewy!
EliteField 3-door Collapsible Dog Kennel
- This easy to assemble crate requires no tools and sets up and folds down within seconds.
- Made with lightweight, durable steel tubing and easy to clean polyester and hex mesh fabric.
- Three mesh doors let in plenty of sunlight and air, so your pet won’t feel claustrophobic.
- Front and side doors feature locking zippers for added safety and security.
- Includes a free carrying case and fleece bed—perfect for traveling with your pooch!
This is the right choice if you’re looking for a large dog travel kennel. You won’t be able to transport your dog in this on an airplane, but for a cool and dry place to let your dog sleep on vacation- this is the one.
Get it here from Chewy!
Proselect Empire Indestructible Dog Kennel
- This ProSelect Empire dog cage is extremely strong with reinforced 0.5-inch diameter steel tubes and 20-gauge steel.
- Medium-Sized Crate for dogs 26-40 pounds.
- Cleanup is easy with this ProSelect dog cage because of its grated floor with tray.
- You can attach casters to the bottom of the cage to allow for easily rolling the cage to other locations or leave the casters off for added stability.
- The Empire cage will stand up to the toughest abuse from the largest dogs with strong latches and thick steel construction.
Looking for an indestructible dog kennel? This is the perfect option. Your dog will be nice and safe in this strong dog kennel. Unfortunately, this is not very portable except for the castor wheels.
We have a full review breakdown of the ProSelect Empire Dog Crate here.
Get it on Amazon here!
Houseables Large Dog Kennel
- This welded wire kennel offers safe protection for dogs of all sizes. The heavy metaled wired grating is stable so dogs can’t push or kick the kennel over. With smooth welding, edges are seamless and won’t hurt or injury you or your dog
- This kennel comes with pre-assembled standardized parts for an easy and pain-free setup. Effortlessly connect the pieces with tightening clamps, absolutely no tools needed. If disassembly is needed, simply reverse the steps
- Plenty of space for outdoor fun for your dog.
- The kennel is raised 1.5 inches above the ground to ensure clean-up is easy and hassle-free. Quickly sweep up spilled dog food, hose off urine, or power wash flooring to prevent dirt build up. Keep a clean, safe space for your furry companion
- Tarp is waterproof and drapes over the top of the kennel. Your furry friend will be protected from rain, snow and sun. Use the included bungee balls to tighten the cover, ensuring your pet’s safety and comfort.
This is an outdoor kennel that offers a good alternative to the Midwest k9 Chain-link kennel linked above. The Houseables is a bit larger for more playtime space for your pup. However, it is also lighter- so there is a potential it will be blown over in high winds. We recommend this one for temporary playpens only. This is also a good option as an indoor outdoor dog kennel.
Get it on Amazon here!
So those are the dog kennels that we looked at! Let us know in the comments what you think about these kennels and if you have any suggestions of your own.
Peace and love!